b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deportation of Judea and Samaria

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deportation of Judea and Samaria
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:45:21 -0800

Dear Karl,

No, I am not saying that the writer of Kings and Jeremiah were lying. I am
saying that the use of "all" is more probably a rhetorical device that has
been
in use since "we were all knee-high to a grasshopper."

It is also evident from the written text that the original Samaritans were a
mixture of those who remained in the land from the Assyrian Exile and those
who
were brought to the ex-northern kingdom to repopulate the land and
intermarried
with those inhabitants that remained. There would be some left even after the
three deportations of the Babylonians in 605, 597 and 588 BC. Thus, "all" does
not mean "everyone was removed and no one remained." It does mean that the
majority of the population was removed. Some of the population would have
remained.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III