b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a spoken language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a spoken language
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

Karl,

You made the following point:

"As far as modern researchers, who is more trustworthy: those who were
there at that time, or those who try to reconstruct events later?"

Without dismissing the unquestionable importance of ancient resources,
including the HB, modern researchers have many more tools at their
disposal for reconstructing various periods of the past.

Your other point is well taken. However, when mentioning the verse in
II Kings, I wanted to demonstrate that ancient memories were clear
about the fact that the Neo-Babylonians did not exile everybody.
As for what happenned during that period of occupation, I prefer
the results of modern research; I did mention an important resource
previously.

To return to what started this exchange -- when Hebrew stopped
being spoken-- I repeat my reference to Mishnaic Hebrew. This later
stage of the language, whose written marks can already be found in
Qohelet and elsewhere, cannot have been only an artifically invention.

Those interested in the development of spoken Hebrew would
do well to familiarize themselves with Mishnaic Hebrew.

Uri Hurwitz
Great Neck, NY

http://mail.yahoo.com