b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] collecting myrrh and honey

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] collecting myrrh and honey
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 03:12:51 +0000

On 10/23/07, Yaakov Stein wrote:

> > And why not? Samson was more than just a simple farmer, he ended up
> > judging Israel for 20 years. That indicates superior intelligence.
>
> Please note that the word "to judge" as used in the book of Judges means
> something like "to rule", without any implication of legal or
> philosophical
> knowledge.

In ancient society, there was a governmental system of checks and
balances.
The Executive, which enforced laws, was represented by the king.
The Legislative, which enacted laws, was represented by the king.
The Judicial, which interpreted laws and disputes, was represented by the
king.

Judicial duties and arbitration of disputes are part of the duties of the
king.
This is also borne out by 1 Sam 8:20 as well as specific examples, for
example, of Solomon settling disputes. One wonders, in fact, what duties
of the king the "judges" of Judges do not fulfill. They judge, they go to
war, there is even an apparent right of succession.

As far as your continued posting on your theory, I posted the following,
suggesting that your idea is not very original and is in fact a well accepted
suggestion as to how to interpret the passage. Kivanta ledaat Hakhamim.
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2007-October/033847.html

Yitzhak Sapir