b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Gezer Calendar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: joel AT exc.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Gezer Calendar
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:55:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Regarding the many recent postings about the Gezer calendar, I think
it's worth pointing out that the traditional translation is, at best,
speculative. In my opinion, it is largely unfounded, and even the
designation "calendar" should be considered tentative. Just by way of
example, the translation distributed at Tel Gezer assumes that the
various VAVs (frequently assumed to be otherwise unattested dual
markers) are not suffixes at all but rather prefix VAVs meaning "and."

-Joel

Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
http://www.lashon.net/JMH
http://caje33.lashon.net