b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Assumptions about ANE ages that just don't work.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Assumptions about ANE ages that just don't work.
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:31:25 -0400

OK, I'm done.

But you also cannot prove that the Torah is NOT correct - literally - in its recording the long lives of previous men.

If the longer lives, previously, were not correct, why would G-d have to tell us that He is shortening our life spans?

Shoshanna

One of the basic premises of any science, including the study of history and
of linguistics, is that the laws of nature, and the rules that govern human
behavior, were always what as the are now. This allows scientists to use
carbon 14, for example, to date organic material - since the C14's rate of
decomposition has been the same for thousands of years. Since there is NO
physical evidence that would show that people's lifespans were ever
significantly different than they are now, taking the long lives in Genesis
(or in any other ancient text) literally is a matter of faith, not science.
Insisting that "everyone" lived longer back then is a leap of faith, not
even mentioned in the text. Insisting that "it would not be wise to
contradict Moses" is a statement of faith - science is built upon
contradicting and challenging old assumptions. This list is NOT a forum for
the discussion of faith. Unless anyone has anything really new to contribute
to the matter, I suggest that we end this thread.

Yigal Levin