b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Assumptions about ANE ages that just don't work

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Markus Karzelek" <markus AT karzelek.com>
  • To: "B-hebrew mailinglist" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Assumptions about ANE ages that just don't work
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:48:20 +0200

> 2. The first geographical reference in the Patriarchal
> narratives (Genesis 11: 28) is oddly to Ur.
> Ancient Ur was the only place on the face of the
> planet in mankind's long history that celebrated a multi-day New
> Year/Akitu celebration every 6 months. This peculiar early
> reference to Ur may signify that all ages in the Patriarchal
> narratives are being set forth in terms of 6-month "years".

I would be careful reading this out (or in) the reference to Ur, since the
Torah was written to the people of Israel - and not to readers in Ur.
And if - as you wrote - the residents of Ur have been the only one having an
6-month-year misunderstanding would have been inescapable.

Therefore I think we have to find other solutions than that one.

BTW: what are your sources about the 6-month-year. I'd like to read more
about this.

Markus