b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re. Zipf and B-Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Russ Bellon" <russbellon AT gmail.com>
  • To: "biblical hebrew" <jcr.bhebrew AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re. Zipf and B-Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:05:04 -0600

I don't think the assumption of human physical evolution (either way) is
really necessary for a linguistic discussion as it's clear (to most) that
language itself does evolve and, however we got them, the mechanisms for its
use are there. I suspect that cultural forces (like an appreciation of
poetry or a religious literary tradition) are far more relevant.

To be honest, my knowledge of BH is pretty new and rudimentary, but common
words like *פנה *would seem to have more uses than borrowed words like *פרעה.
*

In his statistics, how does he account for the idea that the more uses a
word has the more common it will be? For example, if "Pharaoh" can also be
used to refer to cakes and green-toed-lizards then it is automatically three
times as common as a word with only one use (and this is without regard for
how much more--or less--often "Pharaoh/cakes" are referred to than any other
particular word. Never mind I am a math dyslexic and the answer is probably
over my head.

On 16/10/2007, biblical hebrew <jcr.bhebrew AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Russ,
>
> Yeah! I think I agree, in essence, with what you are saying. The problem
> with Zipf's suggestion is that he, like most academics unfortunately do, is
> working with the assumption that we evolved and is trying to explain the
> 'phenomena' (that more common words have most attested uses) in terms of
> evolutionary mechanisms rather than in terms of linguistic forces.

I think Karl adequately sums it up when he says '