b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re. Zipf and B-Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "biblical hebrew" <jcr.bhebrew AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Russ Bellon" <russbellon AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re. Zipf and B-Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:50:19 +0100

Hi Russ,

Yeah! I think I agree, in essence, with what you are saying. The problem
with Zipf's suggestion is that he, like most academics unfortunately do, is
working with the assumption that we evolved and is trying to explain the
'phenomena' (that more common words have most attested uses) in terms of
evolutionary mechanisms rather than in terms of linguistic forces.

I think Karl adequately sums it up when he says '

If you recognize words by their form, the contexts that they are found
in, then yes, the most common words are found in the widest range of
contexts, therefore the widest range of "meanings".

'

However, what do you feel about the phenomena rather than the explanation?
Do you feel that Zipf is on to something and that the Hebrew canon supports
his observation that the most meanings are expressed by the most common
words?

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew Thesis 1 - Aleppo codex machine translation
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc Thesis 2 - language acquisition simulation