b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:14:49 +0200

If YOKEBED is YHO-KEBED, as correctly pointed out to us by Yigal [YI- G)AL] and Uri, then why not YOSEP = YHO-SEP?

_____________

If in some cases -Yokedeb, Yoel, Yonathan- the YO refers to the name of Israel's God, this does not allow us to state that the initial YO -or better YWO- of every word whose head is YO (YWO) refers to it.

And so,

1. YWOS"P (Gen 30:24) marks the Hiph'il imperfect, 3rd person singular masculine = he will cause to increase.
2. YWOL"K (Dt 28:36) marks the Hiph'il imperfect, 3rd person singular masculine = he will cause to go, to walk.
3. YWONEH (Eze 18:7) marks the Hiph'il imperfect, 3rd person singular masculine = he will cause to oppres, he will oppress.

This YWO is the typical prefix for the Hiph'il imperfect, 3rd person sing, masc. of verbs Peh"Yod and of a few other that follow their path.

Pere Porta

I tend to think that the -HA- added to )ABRAM, Genesis 17:5, and the - AH added to SARAIY, Genesis 17:15, are also in honor of a holy name. While at it I also notice the resemblance of )ABRAM and (AMRAM, Exodus 6:18.
I suspect that the -YA- of the name MIRYAM, Exodus, 15-20, is also of this nature. Otherwise what is the meaning of this curious name MIRYAM?

Isaac Fried, Boston University