b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>, "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:40:03 +0200

I feel uneasy with the interpretation of the -YAMIN part of the name
BINYAMIN as the right hand side [namely the YEMENITE]. I tend to
think that YAMIN = YAH-)AMIN, with YA =YAH being a reference to the
God of the Hebrews.
After all both his father YA-(AKOB and his
grandfather YI-CXAQ had such a reference in their names, methinks.

Do you really think that the Y of YA-(AKOB and the Y of YI-CXAQ are a reference to the name of Israel's God?

Aren't they a mere prefix to show the imperfective or future verb tense, the same as other hundreds of samples in the Bible?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)