b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 06:02:28 +0200

Isaac,

There is no reason at all to assume that every Yod in a name represents
YHWH, especially since these names all have perfectly reasonable etymologies
without the reference to YAH. All of the Yahwistic theophoric names that we
know about abbreviate YHWH as either Yod-He, Yod-Vav or Yod-He-Vav. Not
surprisingly, the first such name in the Bible is Yehoshua(, who gets the
extra He added into his previous name by Moses. (Actually, I think that
Yokebed - "YW is glory", might also be Yahwistic).

Yigal Levin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>

Yigal,

I feel uneasy with the interpretation of the -YAMIN part of the name BINYAMIN as the right hand side [namely the YEMENITE]. I tend to think that YAMIN = YAH-)AMIN, with YA =YAH being a reference to the God of the Hebrews. After all both his father YA-(AKOB and his grandfather YI-CXAQ had such a reference in their names, methinks.

Isaac Fried, Boston University