b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:25:51 +0200

Isaac,

I quite agree with you that LKH is not in the plural,
and didn't mean to imply that it was.
Sorry if my wording was not clear.

I furthermore understand your contention that all the terminal
H (at least in the song of songs) are personal pronouns,
but disagree. This theory is all the more unusual for
the NXXXH forms, as when the verb is already in the plural
it is not clear why the personal pronoun is needed.

I could accept a theory that the terminating H is purely
for poetic reasons, or that it is a dialectic ending.
But when it appears it is always in an urgent context.

What do you make of Psalms 57 )$YRH,
(WRH KBWDY and )(YRH $XR ?
Here there is no partner for a pronoun,
and once again there is urgency in the context.
(Once again getting up early in the morning,
the self-awakening, etc.)

Y(J)S