b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 13:1 (was Using an unpointed text)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 13:1 (was Using an unpointed text)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:54:23 +1000

Could I suggest read the article and see how the author argues that this is a case of backwards ellipsis. I couldn't be bothered going into this topic myself; I just raised the reference for those interested.

If you don't have access, I can send you a pdf if you like.

Regards,
David.

Dear David:

On 8/26/07, David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hebrew backwards gapping was also raised by Freedman years ago. I
> haven't checked whether O'Connor makes reference. Isa 1:3 is the verse
> discussed.
>
> Freedman, David Noel. 1985. "What the Ass and the Ox Know—But the
> Scholars Don't." Bible Review 1: 42-44.
>
> Regards,
> David Kummerow.

How is this an example of backwards gapping?

This verse is made up of four clauses that work together. All four
have a subject, three have a verb, Isaiah 1:3b takes as understood the
verb from 1:3a. 1:3c and 1:3d lack an object, but again the ownership
and provision is understood from the earlier clauses.