b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies' was Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies' was Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:48:27 -0400

Hi George,

You wrote,

Secondly, Naomi is not as old as you think. At the end of the book, she is
able to nurse (suckle) her grandson. That tells me she's not that old. That
also tells me that much of what she says is mere rhetoric.
The usual word for nursing (as in breast feeding) is _meyneqet_. Is is not used of Naomi. Ruth 4:16 says Naomi became her grandson's _'omenet_, which means something more like a nanny or foster mother (as in a supporter). It was impossible for Naomi to nurse unless she had herself fairly recently given birth which is unlikely since she says, "I am too old to be married. Even if I thought there was hope for me, even if I were married tonight and I also bore sons, should you wait for them to grow up?"

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine