b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies' was Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies' was Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:12:40 +1000

Hi Karl!

A few points:

Firstly, while Torah has certain guidelines for the treatment of foreigners,
this does not mean that people always followed them. The necessity of such
laws indicates how vulnerable foreigners actually were. Boaz' upright
character and/or Torah observance does not detract from the general
situation which foreigners like Ruth potentially faced.

Secondly, Naomi is not as old as you think. At the end of the book, she is
able to nurse (suckle) her grandson. That tells me she's not that old. That
also tells me that much of what she says is mere rhetoric.

Thirdly, in relation to what Boaz is covering himself with, I think you are
clutching at staws. ;-D

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)