b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Karl's lexicon

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Karl's lexicon
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:09:10 -0700

James:

On 8/25/07, JAMES CHRISTIAN READ <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> KWR: Making a quick electronic count of irregular forms and forms which
> could come from two or more sources, I got a result of 777 entries in my
> dictionary. The problem is that I know I am missing many such forms.
>
> JCR: How did you make such an automated count?

I have a special symbol used only to indicate either an irregular form
or word that can come from two or more sources. It's mentioned in the
introduction to my dictionary.

> KWR: Because I don't know data base programming, I don't understand how
> this would work.
>
> JCR: I actually made a mistake. A database table is basically a set of rows
> (each row is unique) with columns. The columns hold different pieces of
> information. To achieve the functionality you suggest we would need to have
> one massive table with two columns. The first column would be the word we
> are looking up. The second column would be the root it is derived from.
> When looking for the definition of a word found in the text the application
> would ask the database to return the row which has the word in its first
> field. Taking the root from the second column it would be able to query a
> second table dedicated to your dictionary entries to return the desired
> definition.

I can understand where there are alternate spellings, I would have to
have an entry for each of the alternate spellings. But what about
where a spelling can come from two or more sources? For example, Y$B
would have to pull up three entries, Y$B, $BH and $WB because Y$B is
found as a derivative from all three roots. It's the context that
tells which root is the one to use. Moreover, it could be a 3rd p. s.
qal imp. or a participle or a ... depending on which root and part of
speech it has in the sentence. There are many such examples. How would
your database deal with those?