b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Using an unpointed text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Christopher Kimball <transcriber AT tanach.us>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Using an unpointed text
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:05:26 -0400

An advantage to looking at unpointed text from time to time is to appreciate its occasional ambiguity. And it's also a confidence builder for students of Hebrew.

Children in Israel are apparently taught to write pointed text for a while, but are eager to have the pointing requirement dropped as they advance. As an older, but not better student, I was also glad not to have to point my writings because pointing added another level of spelling problems.

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT