b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 21:23 Who is cursed?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <michaelabernat9001 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 21:23 Who is cursed?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:56:06 -0500

MA: While I appreciate your answer, I am not all that certain that Elohim is in
a construct relationship.

JCR: Why not? Just because of the JPS translation?
Probably. I didn't recognize the construct form of cursed and didn't have a lexicon handy to check it out.
I should have taken the time to look it up. However, I do find some of the alternative interpretations interesting.
As Keil and Delitzsch interprets this, the hanged man is not cursed but is a curse of God upon the land .
The Jewish translations I've been able to access take it that hanging a man is an insult against God. I haven't been able
to find any scripture where this translation of קִלְלַת can be shown to be normative. Perhaps, someone will point that out to me.

Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy