b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] final aleph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] final aleph
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:29:38 -0700 (PDT)

Karl,

Yes, the very early pronounciation could have been "....ahu" or "..ehu"
because an argument can be made that the H, since it was
written down, was initially pronounced as a consonant, with a vowel
attached to it. That is, it didn't just serve as the vowel O as would
appear from much later vowelling in the MT. But here we're treading in a
speculative field.

As for the F s 3rd pronominal suffix pronounciation,one is on firmer
ground. In this case the consonantal H can be definietly traced back to
an early stage reflected in the Arabic F s 3rd suffix. ...HA , equivalent
to the Hebrew He Aleph. This is clearly indicated by the "Mapik" in the
vowelled MT which servs as a residual reminder of an ancient A vowel
of the final He.

Uri

Uri: On 8/18/07, Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz at yahoo.com> wrote: > As to
the relationship between the two homonyms LO (lamed aleph - > "NO"),
and LO (lamed waw -- "TO HIM"), here again it pays to consult > Arabic
, because, like in so many other cases, it preserves earlier stages > of
the language. The spelling of "NO" in Ar.-- "LA," is the equivalent of the
> Heb.lamed aleph, while the spelling of "TO HIM" is --LaHW
pronounced > "Lahu". Obviously the "H" was dropped by the time of the
consonsntal text > of the HB. > > > Interestingly the same occurs
in some spoken Arabic dialects. > > Uri Hurwitz If you look at the
earliest Hebrew, particularly Genesis, there are several cases where the
third person singular masculine suffix was written with a heh; could the
pronunciation have been "-ahu"? Later contracted to -W to differentiate it
from the feminine? Karl W. Randolph.

---------------------------------
Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on,
when.
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:56:11 -0700
From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] final aleph

Dear Uri:

Thanks. I had always been puzzled at the cases where the third person
masc. suffix had been written with a heh instead of waw, this answers
it.

Karl W. Randolph.

On 8/21/07, Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> Karl,
>
> Yes, the very early pronounciation could have been "....ahu" or "..ehu"
> because an argument can be made that the H, since it was
> written down, was initially pronounced as a consonant, with a vowel
> attached to it. That is, it didn't just serve as the vowel O as would
> appear from much later vowelling in the MT. But here we're treading in a
> speculative field.
>
> As for the F s 3rd pronominal suffix pronounciation,one is on firmer
> ground. In this case the consonantal H can be definietly traced back to
> an early stage reflected in the Arabic F s 3rd suffix. ...HA , equivalent
> to the Hebrew He Aleph. This is clearly indicated by the "Mapik" in the
> vowelled MT which servs as a residual reminder of an ancient A vowel
> of the final He.
>
> Uri

  • [b-hebrew] final aleph, Uri Hurwitz, 08/21/2007