b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress and metheg

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr Raoul Comninos" <capechurch AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Jason Hare" <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress and metheg
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:58:32 +0200

I Quote Seow (Grammar, 66): "The meteg is a short vertical stroke
appearing under a consonant....It serves primarily to indicate a
secondary stress in a word." Seow goes on to document four other uses
but he does not indicate when the meteg indicates secondary stress.
Also, as far as I know, the mark before a sof pasuq is not a meteg but
a silluq and the two should not be confused. A silluq is an accent,
but the meteg is not. See also Muraoka pages 59ff.

Kind regards
Raoul Comninos

--
Dr Raoul Comninos