b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress and metheg

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress and metheg
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 14:46:51 +0300

On 7/25/07, Dr Raoul Comninos wrote:
> In my reading of the Hebrew Bible I am unsure when to read the metheg
> as a secondary stress. I have read through Gesenius' section on the
> metheg but found it unintelligible. Perhaps someone could provide me
> with some specific rules as to when it is not stressed.

It is my understanding, probably at odds with Gesenius, that all methegs
denote stress. The most common example being the end of a verse,
where a metheg denotes the placement of stress. Not all secondary
stress is denoted by a metheg. That is, sometimes there is no marking
at all of secondary stress.

Yitzhak Sapir