b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David's article

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David's article
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:58:50 -0700

Harold:

Not only does English use the definite article more sparingly than
does Biblical Hebrew, it uses it more sparingly than even other
Indo-European languages: I am thinking specifically of German.
Therefore it is improper to project English usage back onto Biblical
Hebrew.

This is a case where I think the grammarians are making a mountain out
of a molehill.

Karl W. Randolph.