b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Number of MSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JoeWallack AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Number of MSS
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:14:12 EDT

Jimmy Doyle wrote:
> I'm trying to find information on the number of MSS (and their relative
> dates) for the Hebrew Scriptures. I have found great information regarding
> New Testament texts, even down to the details of individual books and their
> dating; but when it comes to the Hebrew Scriptures, I can't seem to find
> this info. The only thing I have found is a general number of about 2000
> MSS. I'm really looking for something more specific than this, but even
> this will do if I can find it in reputable source.
>
> Any ideas?

JW:
Hebrew Manuscripts were generally Copied to about 1100 and therefore in
addition to Age are also the best evidence due to Process (Copying as opposed
Selection). Important Extant manuscripts to that time are:

1) Aleppo - 1st half tenth century

2) Cairo Codex Prophets - 895

3) Leningrad Codex - 1008

4) Codex Reuchlinianus - start 12th century

The Ben Asher Tradition started in the second half of the eigth century.

After 1100 Manuscripts were usually Eclectic introducing opportunity for new
textual variation and greatly reducing value as Exemplars

Yeivin gives a brief summary of the Hebrew Manuscript tradition in
"Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah" and estimates that there are at least
3,000
known Manuscripts.

The only significant collation I'm aware of is BHS. Most people don't
realize that Kittel, the Creator of BHS, was Christian. The first two BHS
editions
were from his fellow Christian, Ben-Chayyim's, eclectic 16th century
creation. Starting with the third edition BHS has the Leningrad Codex as a
base.

Joseph