b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of NBL, was Re: Ps 51:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of NBL, was Re: Ps 51:6
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:08:36 -0400

Karl,

The NEBEL mentioned in Isaiah 30:14 is a large clay cask. The NIBLEI $AMAIYM of Iob 38:37 is 'the loftiness of the heavens.' The NEBEL ASOR of Psalms 33:2 is a harp of ten strings. Amos 6:5 has HA-PORTIYM AL PIY NEBEL, and I tend to think that PORTIYM means 'strum.' It is hard for me to imagine ancient Hebrews having a musical instrument as intricate as a bagpipe.

Isaac Fried, Boston University