b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Learning Ugaritic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Learning Ugaritic
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 08:41:01 -0400

Amir,

Ugaritic is a nice language to learn, but it's helpfulness for Akkadian
and other cuneiform scripts is minimal. Ugaritic used an alphabetic
cuneiform, whereas Akkadian, Hittite, etc., used a syllabic script with
hundreds of different signs that had multiple values, depending on
context and time.

Ugaritic is not terribly difficult to learn if you have one or two other
Semitic languages already. Of course, learning could have several
definitions. Many people come to Ugaritic for purposes other than
learning the language itself. You saw an example of that with Rolf, he
learned Ugaritic to further his understanding of the Semitic verbal
system. Others, especially in the pan-Ugaritic days of Dahood, et al.,
learned Ugaritic because they thought it held the key to the Canaanite
background to the Hebrew Bible. Others learn it for comparative
Semitics; hence the strong emphasis on vocalization of the text--not to
say that is wrong, it is very helpful. Segert is a fairly good text to
use for beginning, especially since you already have it :) Rolf gave you
a few other references, some of which will break your pocketbook :(

To read Ugaritic well, you need to spend time with it--just like with
any other language. KRT/Kirta is a nice text to start with, but so are
the selections in the back of Segert. Personally, I really learned
Ugaritic when I was forced to read all the letters in KTU (now called
CTA in a revised edition) in a quarter. From there, the Baal cycle
seemed (relatively) easy.

James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division