b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Learning Ugaritic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Learning Ugaritic
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:49:40 -0600

To be brutally honest, unless you just enjoy learning obscure languages,
Ugaritic probably
isn't going to help you with Hebrew that much. I learned it in seminary, in
fact took an extra
independent study course in it after the basics just because I'm crazy :-)
but in the 25 years
since I finished seminary, I have used my Ugaritic tools for my Hebrew
research maybe 10
times, and all those times it really didn't help me any. I used Gordon's
book set, but I
wouldn't recommend it mainly because of his proprietary way of numbering the
texts.
Segert wasn't out at the time so resources were limited (1982-83), and I did
enjoy playing
with the language and figuring out what it said. But again, I've never
claimed to be
completely sane...