b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Masoretes' Error in MT Psalm 8:5?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Philip <philipengmann AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Masoretes' Error in MT Psalm 8:5?
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 00:28:54 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Hebraists,

There is something that I find a little curious in MT Psalm 8.

MT Psalm 8:5 and Psalm 8:6 seems to form some sort of rhythm, or is similar
sounding.

There are four verbs involved here: tizkerenu, tiphqedenu (verse 5), and
tehasrehu and teaterehu
(verse 6).

These four verbs seem to be similar in sound and in form with the exception
that tiphqedenu (verse 5) is the only one of these verbs that is not an
emphatic piel verb.

Is it possible that this could have been an error?

Could it be that tiphqedenu (verse 5) should have been a piel verb as well
to match the other three verbs?

I am using BHS based on L.

(I am sorry I haven't checked the Aleppo Codex yet).

What do you think?

Best regards,

Philip Engmann.

---------------------------------
8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
>From yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com Wed May 9 04:57:47 2007
> There is something that I find a little curious in MT Psalm 8.
>
> MT Psalm 8:5 and Psalm 8:6 seems to form some sort of rhythm, or
> is similar sounding.
>
> There are four verbs involved here: tizkerenu, tiphqedenu (verse 5), and
> tehasrehu and teaterehu
> (verse 6).

The words in verse 5: ki-tiz-kaR&N-nu / tif-qaD&N-nu ( & = seghol )
The words in verse 6: vat-taxas-saRE-hu / ta(at'-t'aRE-hu ( t' = tet )

In verse 5, both verbs are in qal form and use an -nu suffix for 3rd person
In verse 6, both verbs are in piel form and use an -hu suffix for 3rd person

Using the consensus position for verbal morphology, the different -nu/-hu
suffixes indicate that the two verbs are different functions. In verse 5, the
verbs are in the imperfect while in verse 6 they are in the preterite. Thus,
there is a clear difference between the two verses in form, but in each
verse there is a match of forms between the two uses of the verbs in that
verse. This difference of morphology is indicated not only by the
Massoretic vocalization marks but also by the Massoretic consonantal
spelling. Not only is there no need, but also it would be incorrect to
assume there is an "error" here.

Yitzhak Sapir