b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Are Ancient OT Translations Cited Complete?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Philip <philipengmann AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Are Ancient OT Translations Cited Complete?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 04:48:58 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Peter, (2 years later), Are the other translations that you cite below
complete manuscripts? or only fragments?

Yours,

Philip Engmann
[b-hebrew] Primary and Secondary Old Testament Witnesses Peter Kirk
peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 26 14:07:38 EDT 2004

---------------------------------

On 26/08/2004 00:52, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote: > Dear Philip, > >>
Are the following statements true? >> >> >> 1. The primary Old Testament
witnesses are the Masoretic Text and the >> Septuagint. >> >> 2. The
secondary Old Testament witnesses include: >> >> i. The Dead Sea
Scrolls, >> ii. The Samaritan Pentateuch, >> iii. The Wadi Murabbaat
Manuscripts, >> iv. The Masada Manuscripts, >> v. The Geniza
Fragments. >> >> If the above statements are true, what is the
justification for >> selecting >> some witnesses as primary witnesses and
other witnesses as secondary >> witnesses? > > > HH: I would call them
all primary witnesses with the possible > exception of the Septuagint,
which is a translation into another > language. All the other materials are
ancient or very old records of > the Scriptures in the original languages.
But in another sense even > translations are primary witnesses, since they
are ancient copies
of > the Scriptures. I would consider as secondary witnesses the quotation
> of Scripture in other writings. > If we are looking at translations,
why is only the LXX mentioned? It is not the only ancient translation,
although it may be the oldest. There are for example a variety of Aramaic
(= Targums) and Syriac versions, as well as variant Greek texts, which
deserve mention alongside the LXX. The Latin Vulgate is also an important
witness because it is known to have been translated from the Hebrew long
before the existing MT MSS. There are also Arabic, Ethiopic, Armenian,
Coptic etc translations to be considered. -- Peter Kirk peter at
qaya.org (personal) peterkirk at qaya.org (work) http://www.qaya.org/

---------------------------------
Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.
From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
To: gary blansky <gblansky AT yahoo.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:59:38 +0000
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lev. 19:16

The Hebrew says something like ' do not stand by/upon the blood of your
neighbor.' Looking at the surrounding context it must mean something to the
effect of harming your neighbor verbally or bearing false witness in court.
Or maybe it is saying that you should not just stand there when your neighbor
is in trouble and you have the ability to do something about it.

The LXX seems to carry the idea of 'conspiring upon the blood of your
neighbor.'

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

From: gary blansky <gblansky AT yahoo.com>

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:23:28 +0100
From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
To: Philip <philipengmann AT yahoo.com>
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

On 26/04/2007 12:48, Philip wrote:
> Dear Peter, (2 years later), Are the other translations that you cite
> below complete manuscripts? or only fragments?
>
> ... If we are looking at translations, why is only the LXX mentioned? It is
> not the only ancient translation, although it may be the oldest. There
> are for example a variety of Aramaic (= Targums) and Syriac versions, as
> well as variant Greek texts, which deserve mention alongside the LXX. The
> Latin Vulgate is also an important witness because it is known to have
> been translated from the Hebrew long before the existing MT MSS. There
> are also Arabic, Ethiopic, Armenian, Coptic etc translations to be
> considered. -- Peter Kirk

Philip, I don't know if all of these ancient translations are complete
for the whole Hebrew Bible. I'm not sure that there is a complete
ancient Arabic translation, and I don't think there are complete Greek
texts apart from what we know as LXX. But I understand Latin (Vulgate),
Aramaic, Syriac, Ethiopic, Coptic and Armenian to be complete or
essentially so, preserved by religious communities which continue to use
them. None of these are "only fragments". Maybe others know the details
better than me.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org