b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu -- correction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu -- correction
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:12:35 +0300

On 4/25/07, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

Yitshak apparently did not understand his mistake of incorrectly
vocalizing the verb in question; nor did he understand that roots
whose P Hapoal ( first letter of the root ) is a guttural are conjugated
as regular verbs in the Piel, and that the specific verb under discussion
occurs in this Binyan.

Dear Uri,

I'm right here. You do not have to refer to me in the third person.
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the Piel vocalization of
the verb. It has to do with the realization of the Massoretic text.

To clarify a clear point even further: it so happens that the first
verb in the very verse under discussion, Psalm 8:6[5],
"WaT'H(.)aSReHu" in Piel , also has a guttoral as a first letter
of the root - a "H(.)et" - and is vocalized identically as the verb
under discussion.

Indeed, this word should be realized: vat-taxas-saRE:-hu:

It is unfortunate that you do not take the time to look up for
yourself any of the many references I have provided on the subject
such as my own reading list at the end of the link I just provided
to Peter or the books suggested by Shai at the very last comment
of the link I provided to you.

Yitzhak Sapir