b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] labo' lepaney and Gen 6:13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] labo' lepaney and Gen 6:13
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:40:03 -0400

Hi Karl,

How about if we exercise just a bit of imagination in reading the poetry and see the human supplicants that come as "required attachments" to the groan and the petition?
I believe the technical name for the figures in verses you quote is metonymy. The two vv. in Psa are very much about gaining an audience with YHWH.

Shalom,
Bryan

K Randolph wrote:
In Psalm 79:11 the subject is a groan, in 88:2 it is my petition.

Karl W. Randolph.