b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sholomo and Yedidyah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: RUSSELLGMIRKIN AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sholomo and Yedidyah
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:11:05 EDT

Dear Yohanan bin-Dawidh,

Source critical considerations may have some bearing on your question.
There may be as many as 5 distinct sources represented in the Solomonic
traditions in Samuel/Kings, namely the Acts of Solomon (1 Kgs 11.41) as well
as the
later strands of tradition from J, E, D and P. One sees a number of J
references in the Succession Document ending in 1 Kgs 2 (according to
Friedman) and 1
Kgs 4; P is seen in the temple construction account which contains
significant parallels to P accounts of the tabernacle; there is substantial
vocabulary in 1 Kgs 2-3, 8-9; and one can arguably see E influence in the
anti-monarchical 1 Kgs 12. One sees several contradictory doublets in the
pro- and
anti-monarchic strands: was Solomon's forced labor levied from Israelites,
or
non-Israelites? etc. (I will discuss such source critical matters in some
depth in a forthcoming book, Berossus and Kings.) The Acts of Solomon does
not
appear to have mentioned either David or Rehoboam. Rather the figure of
Solomon from the Acts of Solomon was grafted into the line of Judean kings
by
later author/editors who wrote transitional materials such as the Succession
Document and 1 Kgs 12. The passage in 2 Sam 12.24-25 is plausibly
understood as
harmonizing an originally distinct tradition in which the name of David's
son
by Bath-sheva was named Jedidiah, and in which Solomon did not figure, with
the separate Solomon tradition. At least that is my reading of the textual
evolution of the Solomon tradition.

Best regards,
Russell Gmirkin

According to Sefer Shemu'el Bet 12:24, 25 it was Bath-sheva who referred to
Sholomo as Sholomo, whereas YHWH sent the prophet Nathan to name him
Yedidyah. But then every other occurrence of this figure we see him by then
name Sholomo, the name his mother named him, not the name that YHWH named
him. This may be more of a theological question than a question of language,
but does anyone have any thoughts as to why we see him referred to as
Sholomo rather than Yedidyah when the text clearly points out that it was
YHWH who named him Yedidyah?