b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The acronym Tanakh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The acronym Tanakh
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:13:47 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Yigal,

That may take a day or so, as I'm away from my library.
Of course, if you have access to Frensdorff's Die Massora
Magna (New York: KTAV, 1968) you can have a look there
in the meantime. Again from memory, both the Aramaic acronym
and its Hebrew equivalent appear first in Masoretic literature,
so it would seem they originate quite late.

Tory Thorpe

Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote: Thanks, Tory.

Do you have a reference for the use of 'n''k ? And do you know when the
Hebrew form first appeared?

Yigal Levin

It appears for the first time in the literature of the Masoretic movement
being derived from the Aramaic 'oraita, nevi'ei ukhtivei of B. Kid. 49a.
The original acronym was in the form 'n''k (Masoretic notes are usually
in Aramaic). Tanakh is the Hebrew reflection of the Masoretic term.

HTH
Tory Thorpe