b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] translations of important quotes using Rolf's ideas

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] translations of important quotes using Rolf's ideas
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:24:13 +0100

Dear Liz,

Linguistic theory should be the driving force behind translation. While all translators are influenced by their philosophies, religious views or lack of such, conscious efforts should be exercised to curtail these influences when translation work is done. In order to translate a text from one of the prophets, I ask: Is this a prophecy about the future? This is not a theological but a translational (linguistic) question. As for Isaiah, the question is indifferent to the issue whether some of Isaiah´s words are prophecies ex eventu (spoken after the event). The answer sought is whether the writer wanted to apply the words to the future (if he wrote them after the event, he formed them as if they were written before the event). Thus, the time of writing is irrelevant for the answer.

A translator has the duty to consider the context, and when my judgement is that the particular text with which I am working, is a prophecy, I treat the whole text as such (parts of the chapter may of course refere to the past). I would claim that this was the reason why I translated Isaiah 53 as I did; my understanding of the context is that this text is a prophecy, and therefore the reference is future (and prophetic perfect does not exist); the question about a possible fulfillment is only secondary.

Perhaps you would like to translate a more "neutral" text, namely Jeremiah 50 and 51. My understanding of the context is that this is a prophecy about the fall of Babel (whether it was written before or after the fall is linguistically irrelevant). If you also view the text as a prophecy, working with this text may be interesting for you. In these 104 verses there are 84 YIQTOLs, 2 WEYIQTOLs, 56 WEQATALs, 106 QATALs and 8 WAYYIQTOLs. Of the QATALs I interpret 14 as having past reference, 21 as having present completed reference, 3 as having future completed reference, and 57 QATALs and 6 WAYYIQTOLs as having future reference. If you just use the traditional rules for temporal reference, you will get a strange prophetic text. Several modern translations abandon the "rules" in some of these verses. For example, the NET Bible translates all 6 QATALs in 51:30 with English future.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>