b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jude 14 and 1 Enoch 1:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jude 14 and 1 Enoch 1:9
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:00:05 +0100

Dear Anthony,

My Norwegian translation of Enoch was published in 2004, and I used the
Ethiopic manuscripts published by Charles, 4Q204,
that you refer to, and Milik´s book where the fragments were published in
1976. In my first post I also mentioned that the Qumran fragment contains
some letters, but they were too few for a definite conclusion. The issue
that I raised was how evidence has been used, and I think we should continue
with that. I still claim there is no evidence that a manuscript of Enoch,
which was older than Jude contained a text similar to Jude 1:13-14, and that
Jude quoted from this manuscript. In order to demonstrate this I
transliterate the
letters in 4Q204 and compare them with a modern Hebrew translation of Jude
1:13-14 (Note that I transliterate the letters from left to right; "$"
represent both $ and & in the Qumran fragment). I only transliterate the
letters that are clearly
seen; I place a question mark where there only are traces, and I have spaces
where Milik has spaces to distinguish between the words:

4Q204

W$YDQ T)

?B?( LO )R$

?Y$QW NBR??

Hebrew New Testament

WY$WDQ TWBBRB )B HWHY HNH

XYKWHLW LKB +P$M TW&OL

Y&OM LK LO MYO$RH LK T)

R$) TW$QH LC LOW MTO$R

MYO$R MY)+WX WYLO WRBD

Blue, red, and brown indicate where there can be parallels between the
Aramaic fragment and the text of Jude; the green indicates a possible but
uncertain parallel, because of the fragmentary state of the Aramaic word;
Black letters indicate words that do not fit the text of Jude. Taking the
difference between Hebrew and Aramaic into consideration, the reconstructed
text of Milik is different in many instances compared with the text of Jude,
so even if the reconstructed text had been correct, to claim quotation would
be questionable, and to claim that Jude quoted an older Enoch manuscript on
the basis of the possible parallels indicated by the colors above would be
special pleading. Milik has pictures of the fragments, and this fragment has
about 60 letters in 8 broken lines. There is no way to know the whole text of
each line.

I once again stress that I do not argue in favor of a special age of Enoch,
or that the author of Enoch quoted Jude. My point is that when Charles in
1913 said that Jude quoted Enoch, there was no direct evidence for this. And
when scholars up to the present have reiterated the claim, there still is no
direct evidence for it.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo