b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of "Yayin" as found in Numbers 6:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lew Reich" <lbr AT sprynet.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of "Yayin" as found in Numbers 6:3
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:02:02 -0400

In English, "wine" means grape juice that has fermented. In the Talmud, at
least "yayin" does not appear to carry that meaning; according to the
Encyclopaedia Judaica (16:538) newly pressed wine, prior to fermentation,
was known as "yayin mi-gat" ("wine from the vat" Sanhedrin 70a); wine from
the previous year was "yayin yashan" ("old wine'), and that from earlier
vintages, "yayin noshan" ("old, very old"), the last being usually diluted
by one third with water in order to reduce its potency. Rashi, in
commenting on Num 6:3, notes that it is specifically yayin when it is yashan
that is m'shakayr (related to the term shaykhor-in v. 3) - causes
intoxication.

These usages suggest that (by the time of the Talmud, anyhow) "yayin" was
not necessarily what we think of as wine, that is, fermented grape juice.
That might explain the use of the term "khomets yayin" to specify that it
was the fermented type of yayin that was being referred to rather than that
which had not yet fermented.

Lewis Reich