b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Kush - and Mis(.)rayim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Kush - and Mis(.)rayim
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 07:34:13 -0700 (PDT)

It is noteworthy that the biblical term for Egypt retains the dual:
Mis(.)rayim, reflecting a time when Egypt was known as a country
combining two parts, upper and lower.

Also interesting is that the Arabic term for the country, identical to
the biblical, occurs in the the singular: Mis(.)r, or Mas(.)r.

Uri Hurwitz

---------------------------------

On 21/03/2007 04:13, Yigal Levin wrote: > Yohanan, > > The Bible does not
say that "Mizraim" is what we call "Egypt" or that "Aram" is what we call
"Syria". ... This is a strange statement. "Mizraim" is simply the Hebrew
word for Egypt, used repeatedly for the land of the Nile and the Pharaohs
which is what we call "Egypt". "Aram" is the Hebrew word transliterated in
some English versions and translated "Syria" in others, which refers to a
rather ill-defined territory roughly comparable to the modern state of
Syria and of which Damascus was for some time the capital. So I don't know
what you mean here. Because the Bible is not a dictionary it does not
explicitly tell us which Hebrew words correspond to which English ones. But
it provides enough geographical information to make these identifications
completely certain. As for Kush, the biblical information may not be quite
so certain, but Ezekiel 29:10 seems to put the border of Kush at Aswan,
strongly suggesting that at least here Kush refers to Nubia. -- Peter
Kirk E-mail: peter at qaya.org Blog: http://www.qaya.org

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time