b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David: strings of qatals

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David: strings of qatals
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:00:06 +0000

On 08/03/2007 15:08, B. M. Rocine wrote:

I see that David uses a string of qatals (or weqatals) in 1 Sam 17:34-36. Traditionally, the string is considered to be repetitive action in the past for which weqatal is a conventional choice. However, In my book, I suggest that David is indeed telling a story (see _Learning BH_ pp. 345-347). However, I suggest he is telling a story in an unconventional way in a very special circumstance. Essentially, he is telling a story using the conventions of expository discourse in order to apply for a job. He is basically giving Saul his resume. I am not ashamed for bringing such a literary consideration into a linguistic discussion.

Do you mean that David is telling what happened once but deliberately making it sound as if this was commonplace, something which he did all the time? I'm sure that sort of thing happens when people write resumes.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org