b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] David: strings of qatals

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] David: strings of qatals
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:08:34 -0500

Shalom David,

Thank you very much for your clear and well-documented treatment of aspect in the recent thread!

If I remember correctly, you said somewhere during the long thread that strings of qatals are sometimes used to narrate a story (forgive me if I do not quote you). If I am wrong, and I would be happy to drop the issue. Otherwise I confess that I am not familiar with this type of string in a narrative. I do realize that narratives in direct speech often begin with a qatal, but I am under the impression that they then continue with wayyiqtol.

If I am remembering your statement correctly, can you point out a couple of these strings in "first Temple" texts?
I have found, for example, 1 Sam 4:17 a string of four qatals in direct speech, but I don't think the speaker is telling a story. I think he is describing the state of affairs to Eli. Describing a state of affairs is essentially expository rather than narrative. In expository discourse I would expect to find noun sentences and X-qatal sentences (which are a kind of noun sentence, I think).

I see that David uses a string of qatals (or weqatals) in 1 Sam 17:34-36. Traditionally, the string is considered to be repetitive action in the past for which weqatal is a conventional choice. However, In my book, I suggest that David is indeed telling a story (see _Learning BH_ pp. 345-347). However, I suggest he is telling a story in an unconventional way in a very special circumstance. Essentially, he is telling a story using the conventions of expository discourse in order to apply for a job. He is basically giving Saul his resume. I am not ashamed for bringing such a literary consideration into a linguistic discussion.

Anyway, can you point out a string or two? Thanks!

Regards,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine