b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerome's translation of 1 Kings 22:38

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Berel Beyer <berelbeyer AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerome's translation of 1 Kings 22:38
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:22:58 +0000

On 04/03/2007 03:32, Berel Beyer wrote:
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any thoughts on Jerome's translation of 1 Kings
22:38? He has habenas which is unlike both the masoretic text and LXX
(הזנות & πoρναι). Is he following Targum Yonatan who has זינה (zayin
yud nun he)? Rein is not all that close to armor, body-wear, etc.,
however. Is this just a loose translation of TJ, or is there some
other word that he may have been looking at (or is it something else
that I'm missing ... the most likely possibility!).

I'm at a disadvantage here perhaps in not knowing what Latin "habenas" and Aramaic ZYNH are supposed to mean. But the latter would appear to mean something like "immorality", like Hebrew ZNWT and Arabic "zina" - although there could be another meaning as well. Perhaps the Aramaic translator used this abstract noun as something of a euphemism to avoid an indelicate specific reference to prostitutes. Maybe Jerome misunderstood this, although I would expect him to work more from the Hebrew than the Targum.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org