b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] YBM & HALOT: consummate a marriage with a brother-in-law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "A. Philip Brown II" <philipbrown AT apbrown2.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] YBM & HALOT: consummate a marriage with a brother-in-law
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:37:53 -0500

Shalom,

I am struggling with HALOT's gloss/definition for the Piel of YBM in Gen.
38:8; Deut. 25:5, 7. It reads, "to consummate a marriage with a
brother-in-law (by the widow of his brother)."

I do not have a copy of HALAT or access to it, but I would like to think
this is a translation error. The Piel of this verb occurs only in the 3ms.
It is used with two 3fs pronominal suffixes and one 1cs pronominal suffix
whose referent is feminine.

Is the English 'with' a mistranslation from the German? I would expect
something like 'for' or 'of', not 'with.'

Could someone who has HALAT verify if this is a mistranslation of the entry?

Todah rabah!
Philip Brown
www.apbrown2.net