b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verse numbering in Exodus 12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verse numbering in Exodus 12
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:24:06 -0800 (PST)

Karl:

When we read from the TaNaK we are not translating
into English.
The art does not apply when the brain is already wired
for
Hebrew; but "words", "utterances," "statements" are
permissible
translations of DBR. There are not ten commandments,
so the
variant numbering has nothing to do with a so-called
rabbinic
misunderstanding of the Hebrew word.

Tory Thorpe