b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Semantic Field

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Semantic Field
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:11:16 +1100

Gday Bob,

Here's a few references of which I am aware:

Creason, Stuart A. 1995. “Semantic Classes of Hebrew Verbs: A Study of Aktionsart in the Hebrew Verbal System.” PhD diss., University of Chicago.

de Regt, Lénart J. 1997. “Multiple meaning and semantic domains in some Biblical Hebrew lexicographical projects: the description of zera'.” Zeitschrift für Althebraistik 10: 63-75.

Fischer, Wolfdietrich. 1999. “Das System der Farbbezeichnungen im Alten Testament.” Mediterranean Language Review 11: 187-199.

Iverson, Cheryl Lynn. 1996. “Restoration: A semantic domain study of restoration and recovery as it relates to persons in the ancient Israelite community.” Ph.D. dissertation diss., Drew University.

Kroeze, Daniel G. 2004. “A Semantic Study of the Lexical Field of ‘Fear’ Terms in Biblical Hebrew.” PhD diss., University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Kroeze, Jan H. 1997. “Semantic relations in construct phrases of Biblical Hebrew: a functional approach.” Zeitschrift für Althebraistik 10: 27-42.

Mellon, Brad F. 1996. “Distinguishing Greek and Hebrew words in the semantic field 'servant': With special reference to 'servant of the Lord' constructions.” Ph.D. dissertation diss., Westminster Theological Seminary.

Morag, Shelomo. 1992. “The structure of semantic and associative fields in Biblical Hebrew and Classical Arabic.” Pages 137-143 in 'Sha'arei Talmon': Studies in the Bible, Qumran, and the Ancient Near East Presented to Shemaryahu Talmon. Edited by Michael A. Fishbane and Emanuel Tov. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

van der Merwe, C. H. J. 2006. “Lexical Meaning in Biblical Hebrew and Cognitive Semantics: A Case Study.” Biblica 87: 85-95.

Van der Merwe, C. H. J. in press. “Biblical Hebrew Lexicology: A Cognitive Linguistic Perspective.” Kleine Untersuchungen zur Sprache des Alten Testaments und seiner Umwelt 6.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

I am beginning to notice several words that are related in their semantic
field - like ShLK and ShLX send and throw or ZnàXTAni (psalm 43:2) and
ShkàXTAni (psalm 42) [how did this morph through Aramaic to the Hellenized
translation in the Gospel I wonder] or HLK and YLK (again Psalm 42-43)

Is there an online resource or otherwise standard book that might have
studies on semantic fields in Biblical Hebrew? I know of one at the
university here covering the XSD and related words - Creach, Jerome F. D.
Yahweh as Refuge and the Editing of the Hebrew Psalter ( JSOT SS 127 1996)
This one is rather good and readable.

Any other pointers?

BTW - the reason I ask is it is often helpful to be able to see the
crossover or equivalence between Hebrew and Greek usage - e.g. NXM and
paracletos - as I dig my way back into this history...

Thanks

Bob

Bob MacDonald
Victoria BC
http://gx.ca
http://bmd.gx.ca

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Semantic Field, David Kummerow, 01/15/2007