b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Semantic Field

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Semantic Field
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:46:29 -0800

I am beginning to notice several words that are related in their semantic
field - like ShLK and ShLX send and throw or ZnàXTAni (psalm 43:2) and
ShkàXTAni (psalm 42) [how did this morph through Aramaic to the Hellenized
translation in the Gospel I wonder] or HLK and YLK (again Psalm 42-43)

Is there an online resource or otherwise standard book that might have
studies on semantic fields in Biblical Hebrew? I know of one at the
university here covering the XSD and related words - Creach, Jerome F. D.
Yahweh as Refuge and the Editing of the Hebrew Psalter ( JSOT SS 127 1996)
This one is rather good and readable.

Any other pointers?

BTW - the reason I ask is it is often helpful to be able to see the
crossover or equivalence between Hebrew and Greek usage - e.g. NXM and
paracletos - as I dig my way back into this history...

Thanks

Bob

Bob MacDonald
Victoria BC