b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] New Book on the KJV Only Debate

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] New Book on the KJV Only Debate
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:42:35 +1300 (NZDT)

Schmuel wrote:-

>The principle moderator there is Martin Shue, and he is seeking to have a
>high level of dialog on such issues (reducing the amount of diversion
>noise that can occur from general doctrinal discussions). Afaik, Martin
>is the editor of no translation or publication, although he has written
>some very interesting articles on the Net. One of the best has a title
>like --
> "What if I am Wrong..."

I read this article and I find that he fails to follow his argument
to its logical conclusion. Instead of arguing about which English
version is somehow the right one, he should learn the original
languages instead.

Martin writes in this article:-

>What if it is true that God has promised (as the Scriptures indicate) to
>preserve every one of His words and that He has not allowed a single one
>of them to pass away (i.e. be lost in transmission)?

The only reasonable course of action based on such a belief is to
learn some or all of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek depending on your
personal view of the scope of Scripture. Anyone with a couple of years
of formal training in any of these languages and has tried their hand
at translating or just compared translations with the source material
will know that no translation fully captures the original.

There's no point inviting members of this list to join:-