b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of Moshe in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Wayne Ingalls <zechariah14 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of Moshe in Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:30:31 +0000

On 09/01/2007 18:50, Wayne Ingalls wrote:
I think the "Heber" understanding comes from the book of Jasher 68:25.

Which "book of Jasher" are you quoting? As I understand from a recent discussion on another list, there are at least two such books extant, but none is ancient or the original referred to in the Hebrew Bible. The book published in London in 1750/1 and reissued by Rosicrucians in the USA around 1935 is recognised to be an 18th century forgery by Jacob Ilive. The book published in New York in 1840 and previously in Venice in 1624/5 probably originates in mediaeval Spain. There is also an 1829 edition by Albinus Flaccus, probably yet another work. In fact Wikipedia suggests that the situation is even more complex, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasher.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org