b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew pronunciation etc. (again!)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew pronunciation etc. (again!)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 21:50:15 +0000

On 1/6/07, Peter Kirk wrote:
On 06/01/2007 19:57, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> Compare Ibn Ezra's Tsaxut which states:
> And the noted scholar (Hayyuj) said that the Tiberians would read the
> mobile schewa if a yod follows, with the vowel of hiriq as in יֶחְזְיָהוּ
> (yɛxziyɔhu) יִרְמְיָהוּ (yirmiyɔhu) ...

I think you mean that they would read yɛxiziyɔhu, yirimiyɔhu. Well, the
Greek and Latin version of the latter name, and the English "Jeremiah",
tend to confirm that there should be a vowel between the resh and the mem.

I quoted the source I had. I think it's a misreading of zayin for dalet,
referring to the name יֶחְדְּיָהוּ which has the following in the
parallel Hebrew/
Septuagint at CCAT:
YXDYHW IADIA
YXDYHW IADIAS

The segol cannot be as easily explained given the name Hezekiah. Note
that all Massoretic sources seem to agree that two schewas in the middle of
a word would have the second one "vocal". So the presence of a vowel is
nothing special.

> ... and the schewa which is followed by a big
> qamats (ie, qamats) as in בְּרָכָה שְׁמָרִים as a hataf patax
> (=barɔkɔ, $amɔrim)
> that is, a schewa with a patax, and if after the mobile schewa there is one
> of the letters alef,het,het,ayin which are the guttural letters, the schewa
is
> always as the vowel which follows such as (2 Kings 10:10) דְעוּ אפוא the
> dalet is to be read as a shuruq ("du(u") and in the word דְּעִי as if
> it is with
> a hiriq ("di(i") and in דְּעֶה as if it is with a small patax (ie, segol).

Doesn't the last part of this imply that the qamats gadol in words like
בְּרָכָה שְׁמָרִים (your barɔkɔ, $amɔrim) is closer to a hataf patax than to a
hataf qamats, therefore that it is more of an "a" than an "o" and
different in quality from qamats qatan?

I don't follow. In any case, Ibn Ezra's names of the vowels include
qamats gadol = our qamats
qamats katan = our tsere
patah gadol = our patah
patah katan = our segol