b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 49, Issue 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Chris and Nel" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 49, Issue 1
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:01:01 -0800

Chris:

I don't have the Masoretic points before me, but the consonantal text
could be pointed more than one way. Depending on the pointing, the
root could be either XWL or XLL, with the context giving the deciding
vote on which root to choose. Obviously the root indicated by the
pointing results in nonsense, therefore a different pointing ought be
considered.

I read this as a passive from the root XLL, a reading that not only
fits grammatically, but the context as well. Either we are dealing
with a corrupted transmission of the tradition, or an irregular verb
with a unique vowel pattern.

Karl W. Randolph.