b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Sade/Ayin-Quf literary device

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Sade/Ayin-Quf literary device
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:22:31 -0800

Yitzhak:

I won't discuss most of your theory, other than to say that it is best
to say that we agree to disagree. But I will discuss some of the
verses.

On 12/29/06, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com> wrote:
... A clear example is Jer 10:11, but there are more:

This verse is in Aramaic, so its relevance in this discussion is very
limited, at best. Further, this is an interchange of ayin and qoph,
tsada not an issue here.

Judges 5:26 has mxch followed by mxqh.

This is in poetry where it was not uncommon to use a similar sounding
word with a complimentary meaning to fill out the poem. In this case
it is a happax legomai where we are not sure of its meaning, possibly
to smash in.

1 Kings 6:34 has cl(ym followed by ql(ym.

Look back at the context. Are we talking about a double door, an
outer, plainer one whose main purpose was to protect the inner,
fancily carved doors from the weather? CL( refers to a side, which can
also be understood as the framework or more likely two leaves of the
door. QL( refers to something suspended or hung on the door, which can
include all the rich carvings that were mentioned to have been put on
the doors. That this is on the second (double?) door is a clue that
this is an inner door.

Isaiah 28:10 and 28:13 have cw lcw followed by qw lqw.

Again distinct meanings, CW from the same root as MCWH commandment,
means a command. QW is a (measuring) line, often used to make a QWH
measurement. Again, this is poetic with similar sounding yet
complimentary meanings, saying that the" word of God has become to
them a command to a command, a command to a command, a measuring line
to a measuring line, a measuring line to a measuring line, a little
here, a little there" in other words, concentrating on picayune rules
and regulations, how far one can walk a sabbath, etc.

(Actually, CW is the imperative form of the verb CWH which the author
may have used here for its poetic effect, though it is also a
legitimate noun derivation from CWH.)

And we have Jer 10:11, of course.

Aramaic, of course.

... the only other occurence
of this word in the Bible, Hosea 5:11, where the meaning of a "false but
bright light" may fit the statement which follows about God recriprocating
by being like a "moth" to Israel. That is, Israel was like a moth in
following the false bright light, so God is going to be a moth to Israel
in return.

The people are content with following a command, i.e. outward practice
without inward conviction. Same as Isaiah 29:13.

That is, the preexilic Hebrew speakers recognized at least two different
Sade,

Your examples don't show it.

Yitzhak Sapir