b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 2:16-17 :: idiom or clumsy lie

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: YODAN <yodanco AT yodanco.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 2:16-17 :: idiom or clumsy lie
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:22:44 +0000

On 30/11/2006 04:14, YODAN wrote:

Or are some explanations/arguments/interpretations (especially those that
are not in line with certain doctrines) not "Kosher" on this list because
they don't fit someone's beliefs? I don't quite understand this. This (and
some offensive emails I received privately) make me wonder what kind of a
list this is supposed to be.
Yodan, you are free to state your opinions on this matter, and Karl is free to state his, provided they stay within the list guidelines. If you and Karl disagree and have a lively discussion, that is good because it is the purpose of the list. I don't see either of you trying to shut the other up, and I hope you won't. But also please don't stray too far from the text into theology.

As for offensive private e-mails, I hope that whoever is responsible will stop them. I guess the perpetrators could be reported to the moderators and warned that they might be banned from the list.

My own take on this is the same as Yonah's and that of many modern translations, that BYWM simply means "when" and is not referring to a 24 hour period.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org