b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pragmatic notions in BH grammars

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pragmatic notions in BH grammars
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:04:41 -0500

Hi Johannes, et al.

Below is a bibliography that is neither exhaustive nor quite current, but does give plenty of food for thought.

Niccacci's work is well-titled, i.e. it's on syntax. But Niccacci does describe the syntax using a pragmatically sensitive model, a view rejected by Waltke and O'Connor's study of the same topic. Niccacci's work is hard to come by because it is out of print. It is not nearly as comprehensive as Waltke and O'Connor as it is only meant to show how the syntax works as a pragmatically governed system.

There really is no reference grammar that comes to the task of describing BH (or Masoretic H, if one prefers) using a pragmatic model.

I would begin with the starred items for an intermediate course.

Shalom,
Bryan

--------------------------------

Francis I. Anderson.1970. The Hebrew Verbless Clause in the Pentateuch. Journal of Biblical Literature Monograph 14. Nashville: Abington.

______. 1974. The Sentence in Biblical Hebrew. Janua Linguarum, Series Practica 231. The Hague: Mouton.

Ehud ben Zvi, Maxine Hancock, Richard Beinert. 1993. Readings in Biblical Hebrew: An Intermediate Textbook. New Haven: Yale University.

** Bergen, Robert, ed. 1994. Biblical Hebrew and Discourse Linguistics. Dallas: Summer Institute of Linguistics.

Adele Berlin. 1983. Poetics and Interpretation of Biblical Narrative. Sheffield: Almond Press.

Robert-Alain de Beauregrande and Wolfgang U. Dressler. 1981. Introduction to Text Linguistics. London: Longman.

** Walter R. Bodine. ed. 1992. Linguistics and Biblical Hebrew. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

** _______. 1995. Discourse Analysis of Biblical Literature: What It Is and What It Offers. Atlanta: Scholars Press.

John C. Colins. 1995. “The wayyiqtol as ‘Pluperfect’: When and Why,” Tyndale Bulletin, 46.1.

David Allen Dawson. 1994. Text-linguistics and Biblical Hebrew. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.

Teun A. van Dijk. 1977. Text and Context: Explorations in the Semantics and Pragmatics of Discourse. London: Longman.

______. 1979. Macro-Structures. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.

M. Eskhult. 1990. Studies in the Verbal Aspect and Narrative Technique in Biblical Narrative Prose. Uppsala: Uppsala University.

A. Francois den Exter Blokland. 1995. In Search of Syntax: Towards a Syntactic Segmentation Model for Biblical Hebrew. Amsterdam: VU University Press.

Joseph E. Grimes. 1976. The Thread of Discourse. The Hague: Mouton.

Galia Hatav. 1997. The Semantics of Aspect and Modality: Evidence from English and Biblical Hebrew. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.

Jean-Marc Heimerdinger. 1999. Topic, Focus and Foregound in Ancient Hebrew Narratives. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.

Paul J. Hopper. 1979. “Aspect and Foregrounding in Discourse,” Discourse and Syntax, ed. Talmy Givon. New York: Academic.

Bo Isaksson. 1995. “‘Aberrant’ Usages of Introductory wehaya in the Light of Text Linguistics,” paper delivered at IOSOT at Cambridge.

Jan Joosten. 1997. “The Indicative System of the Biblical Hebrew Verb and its Literary Exploitations,” Narrative Syntax and the Hebrew Bible: Papers of the Tilberg Conference, 1996. Leiden: Brill.

Lars Lode. 1984. “Postverbal Word Order in Biblical Hebrew: Structure and Function (Part One: Genesis), Semitics X. 24-39.

Robert E. Longacre. 1983. The Grammar of Discourse. New York: Plenum.

** ______. 1989. Joseph: A Story of Divine Providence. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

Christo van der Merwe. 1993. “From Paradigms to Texts: New Paradigms and New Tools for Interpreting the Old Testament,” Journal of Northwest Semitic Languages, XXII

Cynthia L. Miller. 1996. The Representation of Speech in Biblical Hebrew Narrative: A Linguistic Analysis. Atlanta: Scholars Press.

Miller, Cynthia, ed. 1999. The Verbless Clause in Biblical Hebrew. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

Takamitsu Muraoka. 1985. Emphatic Words and Structures in Biblical Hebrew. Jerusalem: Magnes Press.

** Alviero Niccacci. 1990. The Syntax of the Verb in Classical Hebrew Prose. trans. W. G. E. Watson. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.

M. O'Connor. 1997. Hebrew Verse Structure. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

Kenneth Pike. 1982. Linguistic Concepts: An Introduction to Tagmemics. Lincoln: University of Nebraska.

E. John Revell. 1996. The Designation of the Individual: Expressive Usage in Biblical Narrative. Kampen, The Netherlands: Kok Pharos.

Wolfgang Schneider. 1974. Grammatik des biblischen Hebräisch. Munich: Claudius.

Jean-Louis Ska. 1990. “Our Fathers Have Told Us”: Introduction to the Analysis of Hebrew Narratives. Rome: Pontifico Istituto Biblico.

Eep Talstra. 1978. “Text Grammar and Hebrew Bible,” Bibliotheca Orientalis, vol. 35.

______. Text Grammar and Hebrew Bible, II: Syntax and Semantics,” Bibliotheca Orientalis, vol. 39.

William Turner. 1876. “The Tenses of the Hebrew Verb,” Studies Biblical and Oriental. Edinburg: Adam and Charles Black.

Wilfred G. E. Watson. 1995. Classical Hebrew Poetry. Sheffield: JSOT Press.

Ernst Wendland, ed. 1994. Discourse Perspectives on Hebrew Poetry in the Scriptures. New York: United Bible Societies.

Ellen van Wolde, ed. 1997. Narrative Syntax and the Hebrew Bible: Papers of the Tilburg Conference, 1996. Leiden: Brill.

Buxtorf Iohannes wrote:
Hi Bryan,
I'm interested both in reference grammars and learning grammars. I'm actually making a research on BH grammar books and trying to understand how frequent is the use of pragmatic and discoursive categories in BH grammars.
Do you think Niccacci's work could be considered a grammar?
I would appreciate very much if you could send me bibliographical references on pragmatics and BH.
Shalom,
Johannes

Hi Johannes,

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for. Teaching grammars (in
contrast to reference grammars)? If so, for what level?

Alviero Niccacci used his grammar for intermediate level classes, _The
Syntax of the Verb in Classical Hebrew Prose_ trans. W.G.E. Watson.
Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1990.

If you want reading materials for an intermediate class a bibliography
for personal study we can give you ten or twenty titles.

Shalom,
Bryan

Buxtorf Iohannes wrote:
Dear friends,
I'm looking for grammars of Biblical Hebrew following a pragmatic approach. I know three:
-Gary Aland Long, Grammatical concepts 101 for Biblical Hebrew : Learning Biblical Hebrew Grammatical Concepts through English Grammar, Peabody 2002.

-B.M. Rocine, Learning Biblical Hebrew. A New Approach Using Discourse Analysis, Macon 2000.

-Ch.H.J. Van Der Merwe, J.A. Naudé, J.H. Kroeze, A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar, Sheffield 1999.

Are there any others (even dealing only with single issues, such as performative verbs, background/foreground distinction, discourse markers, presupposition, speech act, deixis and so on)?

Johannes Buxtorf
Basel

--
B. M. Rocine